As storm season approaches, you’ve no doubt started thinking about taking a few preventative steps to protect your home or business premises. But don’t forget to get your car storm ready too.
Storms can hit unexpectedly and even the most prepared of us can get caught unawares on the road. Here’s a few simple tips to help you stay safe on the road this storm season.
- If you’re due a service, book it in. Ensuring your vehicle is in a good working order and your tires have plenty of tread will give you peace of mind. While you’re at it, check your insurance is up to date too
- Plan your trip in advance. Check the weather forecast and traffic updates. If it’s not looking good, ask yourself if you really need to be on the road. Can you work from home or get public transport to avoid being on the road during a potential storm?
- Pack an emergency kit. Some water, a basic first aid kit, blanket and a torch are just a few items that could prove very useful if you’re stuck somewhere for a long period
Tips for driving in the rain
If a storm or heavy rain hits when you’re behind the wheel, it’s important to stay calm, drive patiently and slow right down. Remember to:
- Turn on your lights so you get better visibility and other drivers know you’re there
- Maintain a safe distance from the car in front. Queensland government advises to double the distance between you and the car ahead – so 4 seconds in wet weather
- Be extra alert to hazards on the road. Fallen debris or flooded roads can be fatal so keep your eyes firmly on the road
Here at Logan Law, we want everyone to stay safe this storm season. Our friendly team is here to help you through the process.